I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

My 1st Tiramisu Attempt

This cake involves a lot of steps, and it's the most complicated and expensive cake that I've ever made. The actual size of the cake, shown in the recepi book is 23cm in diameter, but I have no confident in making the size, so, instead of making 1 big cake, I made 2 small cakes.




Here's the ingredient list:



1. Sponge cake ingredient:

5 Egg
140 g Sugar
90g Plain flour
20g Coco powder
60g Corn Oil
1tbsp Coffee Paste


Method:

1. Separate egg yolk from egg white
2. Whip ingredient egg yolk and 20g of sugar until light and fluffy
3. Whip egg white in another bowl until soft peak. Add in 120g , continue whipping until stiff.
4. Mix the egg white mixture with egg yolk mixture until well-blended.
5. Fold in plain flour and cocoa powder, mix until well-combined. Add in corn oil and coffee paste, mix until well incorporated.
6. Pour it into a greased and lined round mould. (I pour it into 2 small round mould).
7. Bake at 180 degree celcius for 30 minutes. Remove the cake immediately when baked. (because 2 of my cake were smaller in size, so, I only bake for 15 minutes)


2. Cheese layer ingredient:

1 Egg
1 Egg yolk
70g Sugar
1.5tbsp gelatine
50g water
250g cream cheese
1tbsp coffee paste (1tbsp instant coffee powder + 2tbsp water)
100g whipped topping cream
200g whipped whipping cream


3. Coffee Syrup ingredient:

80g Water
40g sugar
2tbsp instant coffee powder
2tbsp kahlua


Method:

1. Slice the coffee sponge into 2 layers.
2. Whip egg, egg yolk and sugar over simmering water until thicken.
3. Premix gelatine with 50g water and melt it over double boiler. Add it into thickened egg mixture, mix until well-blended.
4. Beat cream cheese with 50g of sugar until light. Add in instant coffee paste, mix until well-combined. Add in the above mixture, mix until well-blended.
5. Add in whipped topping cream & whipped whipping cream, mix until well-incorporated.
6. Moist the sponge cake layers with the coffee syrup. Place 1 layer of the cake onto the ring mould, pour half of the above cheese filling on it.
7. Top with 2nd layer of cake. Pour the remaining cheese filling on it and make it level, keep refrigerated for 5 hours.
8. Remove the cake from the fridge and coat with nuts praline.


4. Nuts Praline ingredient:

200g Sugar
60g Water
50g Walnut
50g Pecan
50g Almond
50g Macadamia nut


Method:

Cook sugar and water until they boil and turn light brown. Add in nuts and cook until golden brown. Pour it onto a greased pan and set aside to cool. Crush it into fine particles.



================================




I'm sure by now you should know how complicated to make a Tiramisu.




Turning these into a cake took me a day


tada... the output

what do you think? I think it's kind of cute!



I think before the cheese layer is too hard, so the nuts didn't coated nicely on the cake



Why you see there's whitish and brownish colour in the cake layer? because I forgot to mix the coffee paste in the mixture before pouring it into the mould... then the darker brown is due to kahlua.






Taste wise... I would say, I will give myself 60%. The cheese layer is too hard and the praline layer is too sweet. My dad said should put more coffee paste to make it more fragrant.




Room for improvement:


- I made 1 mistake when doing the cheese layer...

- I bought the liquid topping cream and whipping cream, so, I should whip before adding to mixture, but I missed out the step.


- Then I made another mistake when making the praline too, I crushed the nut before coating them in sugar syrup... :(


- Then I find the sugar content is too high, so, in the following attempt, I will try to use lesser sugar.


No comments: