I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Melbourne CBD

This trip was my 1st backpack trip, although I don't think I'm a good planner, but I always feel safe if I have a plan in hand. So, I pre-booked my day trips before departure. My trip was a 5D3N trip, departed on 15th night, slept in the plane and arrived Melbourne on 16th, then my flight back to KL was on 19th morning, so, basically, that's a flying day. 16th I was in Philips Island, 17th on Great Ocean Road, 18th was my last travelling day in Melbourne. Initially I wanted to join another day tour to Yarra Valley & ride on a Puffing Billy, but that would means I have no time to explore the city on my own and defeated the purpose of "backpack", don't you think so? Hence, I gave up the idea and decided to do a "free and easy" day trip to Melbourne CBD on my own.


I woke up early, walked around the neighbourhood to find a local breakfast shop. It was a Monday morning, pretty quiet and serene morning. No Monday blue, no hassle traffic jam, no rushing... just walked on the street, trying to smell coffee.



Like my previous post, I think Aussie don't really emphasis in their breakfast, I didn't see alot of restaurant open for breakfast, even they do, they were very costly. Later, I end up in a small Vietnamese couple-run breakfast restaurant. I ordered a egg & bacon roll and a cup of latte. The husband was very cool, he didn't replied after my order, neither asked me to sit or wait.

There were only 3 small tables in the restaurant, before me, 2 tables were already occupied by an old couple and an old man, I was sitting in between. The old couple, from New Zealand were chatting with the Vietnamese wife, in stead of chatting, more to the couple kept talking to her but she just smile with less reply. They were complaining about how cold-blooded the Australian, pointing to the old man sitting on another table reading newspaper. Then they said they wanted to know how does chicken feet tasted like. They later turn to me, ask me if I've ever tried chicken feet? Of course, I'm a Chinese, and my mom is a hakka, when I was trying to describe to them, they made faces as if I was talking about shit. They are street cleaners in Melbourne, they complain about how dirty is Melbourne and recommend me to go to New Zealand. I thought they were the right person to ask for direction, but they couldn't give me a clear one. So, I can only depend on the booklet that I took from the airport.

I never thought I can do this with no planning at all. After breakfast, I walked cross the street, standing in front of a tram station, studying the infomations. I notice there are a lot of trams going to Melbourne Uni. So, I just hopped in one. I told the driver that I have no ticket and he didn't even border to look at me or answer me, he pointed me to the machines at the end of the tram.

When I walked to the ticket machine, an old couple were in front of me and they were trying to figure how that machine works until a college girl showed them the right button to press. At the same time, I learnt too. I purchase a day pass, which means I can use this ticket on train, tram and bus in zone 1 & 2, unlimited access for the day.

After purchased the ticket, I still couldn't figure which station I should get off. So, I tried to follow my heart, get off at a station which most people get off and up. Yea... Lucky! lucky! I got off at Flinder Station, which is in the heart of the CBD.

While I was browsing some materials that I've printed from the internet, I noticed there are free busses and trams for tourists, so, I'm finding my way to Queen Victoria Market, because the couple that I met in Great Ocean Road trip the day before highly recommended this.


Queen Victoria Market
But too bad... it's closed on Monday... :(



Then I saw the free shutter sign @ the bus station in front of Queen Victoria Market, and somebody (I think they were tourists too) were waiting in front, so, I have decided to hop on and let the bus decide my next destination - Dockland


1. Harbour Town @ Dockland
2&3. Waterfront City Marina @ Dockland
4. Ethihad Stadium @ Dockland
5. South Wharf @ Southbank
6. Flinders Station
7. St. Paul Cathedral
8. Federation Square
9. China Town



Above are places that I visited (I been to Eureka Tower too, but will share in a separated post), I was very happy that I was able to cover most of the main attractions that I marked on the map. Besides this reference, another useful reference for me to get around the city was the tourist guide that I took from the airport. :) (I'm actually very pround of myself for my good sense of direction and ability in reading the maps... :p)
For more information of each of the attractions, you can click here: http://thatsmelbourne.com.au/Gettingaroundthecity/Visitorassistance/Pages/TouristShuttleRoute.aspx


Breakfast: Egg & Bacon Roll + Latte (AUD7) @ St. Kilda road
Lunch: Unagi bento (AUD9) (Unagi cheaper than Teriyaki Chicken, of course choose Unagi la) @ Direct Factory Outlet (DFO)
Dinner: Crispy Spare Rib with pepper & salt with rice + chrysanthemum tea (forgot how much but less than AUD10) @ Wonton House, China Town




I ended my trip @ China Town
These are the Malaysian Restaurants that I saw in China Town.

Following are miscellaneous photos taken along my traveling route:

This bus is a mobile kitchen giving out free food for youngsters and old folks, parked in front of St. Paul Cathedral in that evening.

I love the concept of this big poster hanging on one of the building in Federation Square.

Some artistic figures and graffiti in the city

I was standing in the middle of the tram railway, in between the old and new. On my left were some old buildings (Theatre hall & etc.) and on my right were some modern buildings (Federation Square, Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI) & etc.)


Public Transportations in the city - Trams, buses, bicycles, trike

The city is divided by Yarra River and these are the pedestrian bridges linking the city

My poor overworked Puma



I strongly recommended Melbourne to those beginner who wish to try backpack, alone. Everywhere is a surprise in this dynamic city.

No comments: