I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Taiwan Trip - Old Streets

Old street (老街) I would say is another culture in Taiwan. It's similar to night market, eat and shop till you drop, the only difference is, one is during the day and later is at night.

1. ShenKeng 深坑


ShengKeng is famous for its bean curd, ma la style, fermentated (stink) and bean curd ice-cream. I'm sorry, I can't put something smell like "shit" in mouth, although I really wanted to try, but I tried the bean curd ice-cream, very very nice, especially the one with black sesame taste... strongly recommended!!


The street is under renovation, the project started from the end of the street and gradually moving to the entrance. So, we are able to see the old and new building along the old street. At first I thought the seller might not like the idea because the renovation will interupt their business, but, after interviewing them, some actually quite positive about it, they like the government idea of standardization, the street will become cleaner and tidier. From a tourist point of view, I like the old buildings, unique, classic with a glimse of culture. What do you think?

==================================================

2. RiYueTan Old Street 日月潭老街

We were rushing there for an early dinner after Aboriginal Cultural Village and rushing back to jetty to catch our last boat back to the lake cruise starting point. What I can remember is, we eat everything that we came along, my stomach was like a big bowl of rojak, dumping everything in... ice-cream, duck pancake, chinese burger, sausage, herbal eggs, fries... I don't even have a time to take a proper picture of the street too.

====================================

3. JiLong MiaoKou 基隆庙口



We only stopped by this place for lunch before heading to Jiufen. This is a short street with a lot of nice food. I even tried their BBQ octupus leg. And the crazy part is, along the street, there's a shop selling underwear, I bought a dozen of panties there... because the one that I use to wear was doing very good promotion, so, I grapped all.

============================================

4. JiuFen Old Street 九分老街




This is an old street up on a hill. Famous snacks @ JiuFen will be the yam ball and the vege kuih. For me, they tasted so so. But it is a very very beautiful street, especially the part where all the cafes situated along the stairs.






From Jiufen, we are able to see the coastal line down the hill too. Very breathtaking. The only scary part is, the roads up and down the hill are all very very narrow, I would say, with my driving skill, I doubt if I am able to drive the car up and down again and yet the car can still remain in one piece.

Jiufen is a place good for sightseeing and resting, if you were someone shopaholic or like happening places, you will be bored to death there.

No comments: