I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Taiwan Trip - Night Markets

You can't tell anybody that you've been to Taiwan without visiting their night markets... it's a shame. I only visited 2, Shilin & Luodong. I felt a little embarrass because due to time constrain I didn't spend enough time to experience their night market culture.

We went to Shilin night market after we failed to locate our fine dining restaurant @ Yangmingshan, so, we just had a quick dinner and walk around before we called it a day.

Another reason that made me hesitate to walk around is the crowds. The streets are all congested with people, it's quite difficult for a person like me with Agoraphobia (Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets). The famous stall in Shilin is "Hao Da Da" Chicken Chop, the queue was so long that I didn't spend my limited time there.

I'm quite proud of myself because in such a situation, I still manage to get 2 pairs of shoes there! Should I have a chance to go back to Taipei, I'll try Raohe Night Market. I heard there has more to see and more delicious food.

=======================================

The 2nd night market that I visited is Luodong Night Market @ Yilan. When I was there, the local was celebrating "Ghost Festival", so, most of the stalls were closed. But luckily, we still manage to eat what we are suppose to eat in the market.




"Ghost Festival" is a very important celebration among the Taiwanese, that night, they have 2 big stages and 2 food-ful & beverage-ful of street for the praying ceremony, stage performances for the "brothers" (they called ghost as their brothers).

Some people even told us that there will be strip dance on stage around 9pm. Huh?!! Strip Dance in a praying ceremony?!! I didn't prove the statement right, we were leaving for our nice homestay with hotspring in our room.


No comments: