I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Gao Wong Ye

Since young, maybe about 2 or 3 years old, gao wong ye is a place where I go every year. But, sorry to say, I don't really know the story of gao wong ye. I know It is a god, the celebration or the praying is started on lunar calendar, 1st of September till 9th of September, Buddhist can pray on any day, some even stay there, pray for 9 days, and eating only vegetable or on vegetarian food for 9 days.

So, my mom usually go to pray on the 5th or 6th day early in the morning, before 6.30a.m. I don't know how to pray, so, me and my dad will just waiting outside, sometimes he met his friends and will chat with them, me, I walk around and take pictures, of course.

Another activities that I like are playing the "wheel of fortune" and watching Chinese opera. The "wheel of fortune" actually is a small wheel, which you pay, spin and get a dough dough doll, depend on where's the nail stop, then you will see which dough dough doll you get. Last time, we have fish, bird, rose, snake... now, they become more creative, they have some cartoon characters like mickey, some Japanese cartoon characters which I don't know their names, this year, I saw Digi man, this is a new item!

Then, every year, I am a tour guide to my friends too, some of them heard of gao wong ye before, but never been there, so, I will be the best tour guide for them. At night, outside the temple, there are a lot of people selling thing, food and drink... like a night market. Even non-Buddhist can go there, walk around and experience the happening environment! If you are interested and never been there before, come to me, I promise, I will be a really good FOC tour guide for you!

P/s: I was born on the 8th of September (lunar calendar).


Prayers started praying early in the morning


The big dragon incense


The entrance


The Tower


Dough dough birds
(I play this since young)


Pink dough dough Digi man


About leaving, sky is getting brighter.
This is a view from the primary school car park.


Chinese opera
(although I don't understand the opera, but seeing their actions and colorful costume is fun!)


Beautiful stage and background deco


Stall selling Vietnam popiah


The yellowish sticks are maltose stick


The whitish ingredient is coconut slices and the black dot is sesame


Closer look
After that, rolled it up and ready to eat!

1 comment:

M.Nassif said...

Goodness your colors people , thay are amazing very bright and cheerful i would like to have a digi man for myself lol