I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Mini Fruit Tart

My friend invited me to her brother wedding eve's buffet dinner but they didn't want to accept wedding gift or angpao, and so, I've decided to make this mini fruit tarts for them. Ya, it's a half-failed project... When I looked at the recipe, it's easy, but when I made it, then only I realized there are some details we need to be extra careful...


The ingredients
Tart shell
125g butter
50g icing sugar
2 eggs
250g flour

Pastry cream
250g fresh milk
60g sugar
2 egg's yolks
15g custard powder
10g flour

Garnishing
Kiwi, mango, strawberry, grape



Tart shell:
Beat butter and icing sugar until creamy.
Add in eggs and mix well. Fold in flour and mix to form dough.
Roll into thin skin and cut out small round shape skin.
Line onto small tart mold and press.


Bake at 170 degree Celsius for 15 minutes until light golden brown.


Pastry cream:
Bring fresh milk and sugar to boil until sugar dissolved. Remove.
Mix egg's yolks, custard powder and flour.
Pour in milk mixture, mix well and leave to cool.


Pipe pastry cream onto tart shell and garnish with fruits.


Nice or not?


This is my first attempt on 24th May.
The pastry cream was too liquid. I then realized I didn't boil the fresh milk and sugar hot enough.
I even kept the tarts in the fridge and freezer, but the custard still very watery.


The tart shell was too hard, maybe I baked too long or I put too much flour.

====================================================
Na na na, I haven't give it up yet...
So, I made a second attempt...
This time, I measured the ingredients carefully and followed the recipe tightly...
And I added one more step, before piping the cream onto the tart shell, I sapu a layer of chocolate onto the shell...
Result-nya...


Oh course, this time is quite a successful one
Tastier and nicer, the shell is softer and the cream is thicker.

5 comments:

Pr3tty* Knitty~ said...

wah, you getting more handal jor.. you better make a tray for me when i go back!!! yummy!

Wei Sum said...

sure! actually I enjoyed baking the tarts... when you come back, we bake together la

Lingzie said...

wah!!! very nice!! seems like the both of us bitten by the baking bug recently...heehee... must also let me try ya next time.

Wei Sum said...

oh yeah lingzie, let's bake together... or we can invite those a33 jimui too to our baking get together!

24HrMom said...

nice. I can make some for my house warming too. :-) Not sure if I can bake and make as nice as yours.