I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Cake with Honey Cream

Wow, it's already 2nd quarter of 2008, this month, April I'll be extremely busy. I only has the first weekend free for myself, the rest of the weekends are all occupied with work... bohoho...
Last Saturday, 5/4, we had a surprise party for our beloved ji mui, Siow Hui. A month ago, her husband secretly contacted us, said that he wanted to invite all of us to a surprise party for his wife. Initially, he was planning to go to Cameron or Genting Highland, but, his wife aka our ji mui already in her 3rd trimester, so, I didn't agree with his plan. So, end up we went to Jogoya (continue reading to the next post, JOGOYA pissed me off badly). And I also volunteered to bake a cake for her. And, Cake with Honey Cream was the one I chose from my mom's recepi book - Yum Yum, recepi provided by William Tan.

Cake:

Ingredients A:

150g honey
140g water
100g soft brown sugar
220g plain flour
120g self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
250g melted butter

Ingredient B:
60g chocolate chips


Honey Cream:
100g water
1 tbsp honey
80g sugar
125g unsalted butter


Garnish:
60g chocolate curls

Method:
1. Combine all ingredients A in a mixing bowl, beat at low speed until well combined. Then use high speed and continue to beat until mixture light and fluffy. Lastly mix in chocolate chips.
2. Pour mixture into a 8" round tin with greaseproof paper. Bake into a preheated oven at 180C for 1 hour or until cooked. Remove the cake and stand for 1 hour until cold.
3. Honey cream: Combine water, sugar and honey in a saucepan and cook (without boiling) until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Beat butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add in syrup and mix well.
4. Spread honey cream on the surface of cold cake and decorate with chocolate curls.


I bought the chocolate block and scraped the edge with sharp knife, then the chocolate will curl up like this


See, this is my finish product... but...


Look nice right? But not tasty at all... bohoho... project failed AGAIN!

The cake was as hard as rock, I think the oven that I use is not suitable to bake cake, cause after an hour of baking, outer layer of the cake was ok, but inside still not fully cooked. So, I have to put the cake in again for a few times. Then another mistake I made is, I wasn't patient enough to wait until the cake was cold, I used the short cut way :p, I put it in the fridge to cool it down. That's why you see, impatient people like me can never be a good baker.

No comments: