I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bloody Con Man

I always wonder how people get conned by those phone call or sms telling them they won big money, then they bank in money for them for administration fees or whatever non-sense la... sometimes, those who get conned maybe a lawyer or those highly educated people. Finally I got the "chance" to experience that... na na na, don't worry, I didn't lost anything, just got an experience to talk to those people.
Story started with this...
3 weeks ago, a lady called me (with very strong China Chinese accent), she said she is from China Press, she wanted to do a survey with me. I didn't believe her because Malaysian Chinese doesn't speak like that, but anyway, I was driving, and I was using hand-free, I was also interested to know what she want to say next, so, I agreed to do the survey. She asked me what Chinese newspaper we subscribe, and asked me if I heard of a company called Venice, this company is planning to build another theme park or resort similar to Genting. Of course no la, ok, I admit, I don't read newspaper everyday, but really never heard of this before. Then she continue with her "interesting story", I listened quietly. After that she said survey finished d, she wanted to get my name. Then I said (with my cold tone), if you can be able to get my contact number, you should have known my name d, but she said the number was random picked la, this and that, then ok lo, I told her, my name is 张慧心, and I describe to her how to write my name, she suspected I gave her fake name and trying to correct me, of course I was pissed off, cause I'm sure other than my parents, nobody will be as sure as me how to write my name lo... nvm, she know I was getting impatient and she said Venice (the company) will call me soon to give me a token of appreciation for participating in this survey.
So, after a week, a man called me (also with very strong China Chinese accent), he said he is from Venice (the company), and he would like to invite me to their exhibition in Midvalley Mall on 15/4, Tuesday, 4pm-6pm (what an odd day and hour). He asked me to take down my registration number and asked me must go there to take a look because I might win myself a "Grand Prize" and Astro (the tv station) will report on the event too. Common, who cares? I told my friend, I might go to take a look since Midvalley also close to my house and I really want to see what they are trying to sell. I thought maybe is those direct selling or multilevel marketing thingy la.
So, yesterday I was very lazy la, and I have totally forgotten about that "date". The same guy called me again at 5pm. The background was very noisy, seems like really having a big event. He said why I didn't go to their exhibition, so, I told him I was busy, I'm not interested... then he said actually I won a prize... but I already know this is a con case ma, so I said no lar, I can't be able to go... then he quickly said, congratulation Ms. Cheong, please come now and put down the phone. I was still didn't take it seriously... and ignore it.
This morning (16/4), when I was having my team weekly meeting, the same guy called again. I told him that I was in a meeting, I can't talk and I'm not interested in whatever he is trying to say. Then he sound as if he was being offended and raise his voice, kept asking why I'm not interested and said he will explained whatever I'm not clear... and he insisted want to make an appointment with me and explained to me in details... I got very very irritated and I told him, ok, called me in another half an hour. I was thinking in my heart, ok, you want to play this, I'll see what next.
After half an hour, he really called me, I asked him, what prize I won, he said I won 250K USD... wah, tempting amount, but this made the whole thing sounds even faker and he insisted that I CAN'T (not shouldn't) give this opportunity up (because I asked them to give the prize to another winner). Then I said this can't be true, his company is conning people. Wah, he raise his voice, said how can I accuse his company like that, why I don't believe this is true, he even gave me his number and website of his company, asked me to check it out... then he said the 250k is shared among 5 winners, each of the winners get 50k USD... bla bla bla... I told him, ok, since I won, you send me cheque la. Wah, then he started saying non-sense, as if I'm very stupid, he said how come I didn't know cheque can't be sent by post... bla bla bla... and if winner won a prize, there must be a lawyer witness the claiming, and the winner must come to claim the prize, can't be given to anybody else... bull shit... then I asked him, what he want me to do... he said I need to give him my name, I/C number, and bank account number... he said I can open an empty bank account and I don't have to pay anything... another bull shit... So, I told him, ok, give me some time, I'm going to open an account now, called me another 2 hours.
Right after I put down the phone, I called China Press, they said they received such calls and clarify to public that this is a con case already. Then I called Astro (the tv station), they said they have no idea about that. After that, I called Midvalley, they said didn't have any exhibition yesterday... and each of them, I urged the customer service personnels to report this to their management, so, they will take note on that. Then I even call a police to report this case. But, the officer said I need to go to a police station to report that personally.
I was thinking to go during lunch time because I still need to work and meet my customer. When I was meeting my customer, we discussed that as well, because I remember when I paid him a visit last time, he showed me a letter saying he won some prizes too, he discourage me to report to police because he said police won't border that also. Before I left, he was checking his mail, then he found another similar con letter again, both of us laughed.
Immediate I left his place, the guy called me, I don't want to tell him f*ck off straight, I told him politely, "maybe you don't know what your company is trying to do, but I think your company is trying to con people, please do some investigation", then he scolded me back, said that I have no right or proof to say so. OMG, he is so helpless, I told him I will report this to police if he still keep on bugging me. You know what he said? He scolded me, asked me to report to police if I want and slammed down the phone. OK, peace of mind now. Do you think I should report this to the police? Anyway, I don't lose anything.
Please la, people out there, will you still believe in this kind of "story"? Why are there still a lot of people being conned?

No comments: