I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Making of Chinese Dumpling

Was suppose to post this before the dumpling festival, but... haih, same old word... LAZY lo

I see my mom make dumpling every year, sometimes I did help up, but every time when I failed, I will give up. The dumpling is really not easy to make, especially the final wrap up step. Chinese has this special festival and wonderful food - dumpling, I know I need to learn how to make this one day, because I don't want this wonderful food disappear in our Chinese society (not many people know how to make dumpling nowadays).

So this year, I have decided to help my mom again.

Ingredients Preparation
1 day before...

My mom usually will book the pork few days before.
And the pork must have a very good proportion of fat and lean meat. Believe me, forget about your slimming program, it taste really good.


Marinate the pork with:
Onion and garlic (pounded)
Rice wine and Shaoxing wine
5 spices powder
Oyster sauce
Thick soya sauce

Marinate the pork overnight and at the same time, soak the dumpling leaves and strings.


Other ingredients:
Fried dried, shelled shrimps
Stir-fried marinated pork
Fried glutinous rice with red bean (+ some salt)
Boiled mushroom
Salted egg yoke
Dried scallop
Chestnut


Started wrapping/making the dumpling
Take 2 piece of leaves, folded to a funnel shape, step by step fill in the ingredient
1. put a little bit of rice at the bottom
2. put all other ingredient in the middle
3. cover with rice again


Tada, yeah! I did it! Although my dumpling is slightly smaller than my mom one.
I also do not understand, my mom's hands are smaller than mine, how come her dumpling is bigger than mine?


Boiled the dumpling in salted water for 4 hours...


See, my dumpling looks so yummy


I didn't press hard enough, that's why the rice was a bit loose.
Can you see the whitish part in between the dumpling? It was the pork, so tender and juicy
yum~ the best part of a dumpling.

For those who have digestion problem, better don't take so much dumpling at a time. After all the dumplings were done, I took 2 and after that, I suffered stomach pain... indigestion lo... haih, my body likes old lady...

1 comment:

Pr3tty* Knitty~ said...

they look soo yummy! Wow gal, you now know how to BAO ZUNG la! I wanna eat dumpling so badly! Yummy!