I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Chocolate Bars

When flipping my mum's recipe books, I thought this WAS easy...

Ingredients:
220g butter
1 egg
120g icing sugar
220g plain flour
90g green bean flour

Garnishing:
100g melted chocolate

Method:
1. Cream butter and icing sugar until light.
2. Add in the remaining of ingredients and mix into dough.
3. Put into a piping bag and pipe into two straight lines.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 20-25 minutes or until lightly brown.
5. Dip a side of the cookies into melted chocolate and leave to set.

Easy job right? But, with wrong tool, the process can be very difficult. I have a small piping tube which I use it to pipe cream/jelly. By now you should roughly guess what's happen or even lol and point your finger at me thinking how stupid I am. Because the mixture is a dough, so, you can imagine, how hard to pipe it out. That's not the end of the story... I made another silly mistake later.


The piping head is smaller in size, so, instead of pipe 2 straight line, I piped 3.
I pressed so hard until my hands were shaking and I hurt my palm.


I was supposed to melt the chocolate by double boiling it (means not heating the bowl direct contact with fire)
I admit, I'm not a very patient person, the chocolate melted so slow, so, I thought I can control the fire by direct heating the bowl.
End up, I was not melting the chocolate, I was burning the chocolate...
When my dad came back from work, he still could smell the burn in the kitchen and dinning area. Luckily didn't get scold.
My mom is always my savior, she cut the chocolate bar into smaller pieces and melt it in the oven, just a couple of minutes, the chocolate was melted nicely.
Before the chocolate cool down and become solidify again, we quickly coated the cookie with chocolate.


Not nicely decorated, but taste wise... boleh tahan (my "white mouses" said good)
But nobody know there is "blood and sweat" in the making...

I think this is a very good recipe for parents who want to play masak-masak (baking) with their kids, that will be a very good and interesting learning process

3 comments:

M.Nassif said...

yummy :)

Lingzie said...

heehee... the cookies look not bad... and you're right, would be a fun activity for kids. :)
next time we play with kai zhai ok? hahaha!!

Wei Sum said...

dr. nassif - thanks...

lingzie - I am cheating la, of course I only taking those nice chocolate bar, the not nice one all hiding behind. hehehe...