I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Black Sesame Swiss Roll

Ingredient:

Cake: 5 eggs, 30g plain flour, 1tbsp water, 100g caster sugar, 30g black sesame seed powder, 25g cornstarch, 30g melted butter

Filing: 200g non dairy whipping cream, 100g canned kidney beans (sweetened)

Method:

1. Whisk egg and caster sugar until fluffy. Add water and stir well.

2. Slowly add in plain flour, sesame seed powder, cornstarch and mix well. Add melted butter and stir well.

3. Pour the batter into a lined 14” square tin. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven. Leave to cool before cutting into 2 equal pieces.

4. Whisk non dairy whipping until stiff, spread the cream onto the cake and sprinkle sweetened kidney beans on top. Roll up the cake carefully into a swiss roll. Chill into a fridge for 1 hour before serving.

P1070874P1070875P1070877

There’s a very small mistake that I made, for unknown reason, I mistaken corn starch as corn oil (I swear, I’ve been looking at the recipe for non lesser than 5 times, and my mom helping me up too, but non of us notice this mistake), that’s why my cake was super moisture, and make it very very difficult to come out from the tin. When my mom sending some to my neighbour, she was saying the cake tasted good and she wanted to copy the recipe, then only she corrected me the starch mistake. I must be blind or something… Sarcastic smile

Recipe copied from YumYum issue 71 (Feb 2011)

5 comments:

kennycat said...

hey i just copy that recipe out from the book and thought to give it a try, before that i try to surf out the net and found this. I got few question to ask you since u'd made it. I can't get black sesame powder, can i ground it using black sesame instead?? Where to get the red kidney bean?? From your picture can see the mistake quite clearly that your cake are a bit too wet, haha. Anyway, it still taste good right? Then it's great!!

kennycat said...

hey i just copy that recipe out from the book and thought to give it a try, before that i try to surf out the net and found this. I got few question to ask you since u'd made it. I can't get black sesame powder, can i ground it using black sesame instead?? Where to get the red kidney bean?? From your picture can see the mistake quite clearly that your cake are a bit too wet, haha. Anyway, it still taste good right? Then it's great!!

Wei Sum said...

hey kennycat, i'm actually ground the black sesame rather than using the black sesame powder which can be found in most bakery ingredients shops, but you got to heat up the sesame a little to make the fragrance out. then the red kidney bean i bought those in can, can get it in supermarket or "york choi pou" (traditional chinese medicine hall). Ya, you are right, this roll is really nice even I've made the mistakes.

kennycat said...

Thanks for your reply.I'd made it but I over cooked my cake, I think it's because I turn the oven fan on. It becomes hard and can't roll..haha..Anyway I'll definitely make it again when I'm free. ;)

Wei Sum said...

gambate!!!