I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Hollander Torte 荷兰杏仁派

I'm in the mood of baking today and this recipe is related to almond too (seems like I like almond very much lately). When I was flipping my mom's recipe book, I thought this is quite easy, that's why I wanted to give it a try, but...

RICH SHORT CRUST PASTRY:

100g butter/margarine
60g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
200g plain flour, sifted
2 tbsp strawberry jam (or any fruit jam)

FILLING:
120g butter/margarine
80g castor sugar
2 eggs
80g plain flour, sifted
100g ground almond

DECORATION:
30g flaked almonds

METHOD:
1. Pastry: Cream butter and icing sugar till light, add egg yolk and cream till well-combined. Add flour and mix into a pliable dough. Rest for 20 minutes.
2. Roll pastry in between two sheets of plastic till 3mm thick and big enough to line a 22cm/9" pie dish.
3. Remove the top plastic sheet, invert and place the pastry over the pie dish. Press neatly and remove the excess pastry from the sides. Brush strawberry jam on the base.
4. Filling: Cream butter and castor sugar till light, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in sifted flour and ground almond, mix till well-combined.
5. Pour filling mixture onto the pie dish and spread neatly. Sprinkle flaked almonds on top as decoration.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 35-40 minutes till golden brown. Remove, leave to cool before serving.






(Recipe from Baking Made Easy by Agnes Chang)

The toughest part was when I wanted to invert and place the pastry over the pie dish. The pastry was a bit dry, I think most probably is because it is suppose to be very crusty, I tried to place the pastry twice over the dish, but failed, then my mom was suggesting me to place the dough on the dish and spread the dough on the dish.

Another suggestion is, you can choose those jam with fruit inside, when you bite the pie, you can eat the fruit too! I think I'll try to slice some fresh strawberry and place on the jam layer. Yum...

So far, my neighbor children and my parents have tasted it, and yeah, they reviews are positive! hehehe.


3 comments:

Pr3tty* Knitty~ said...

since when you can COOK and BAKE that well~ my god!!! Its just not FARE you get into kitchen that often after I am GONE! haha~ hey, it looks good anyway! hungry here!

冷血 said...

haha...
i'm seng zai
this is my first leave comment into ur blog
wah....so delicious...
can i take order ???
hehehe
c u

Lingzie said...

wow looks very good girl!! seems likes you've caught the baking bug recently! :) maybe you can be guest baker at joanne's place liao... heehee