I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Hazelnut & Strawberry Jam Cake

PROJECT FAILED!
When I looked at the recipe, I thought that's quite easy, manatau...
I failed because, firstly, I don't have a proper oven to bake the sponge cake, end up, the cake was too dry on the outside and too moisture inside, so as a result, the hazelnut paste can't stick to the cake and the cake collapsed when I pressed too hard to apply the paste on the cake :(
Secondly, maybe the hazelnut paste that I made was too dry too.
Sometimes, when something look ugly but it taste good, but, my cake was ugly and taste bad :(
I'll still share the recipe here, see if anyone of you interested to do it, you can try it yourself.



Sponge cake:
170g sponge mixed
4 eggs
30g ground hazelnut
1/2 tsp cake emulsifier
50g corn oil

Hazelnut paste:
200g ground hazelnut
35g caster sugar
3 tbsp rum
3 egg yolks
1-2 egg whites

Some strawberry jam

Method:
1. Sponge cake: Beat all ingredients (except corn oil) until fluffy. Pour in corn oil and stir until well mixed by using hand.
2. Pour batter into a 7" round cake tin. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree for 35 minutes until cooked. Remove and leave to cool (pic 2 & 3)
3. Slice sponge cake into 3 layers (because my cake is too short, so, I only sliced cake into 2 layers). Spread some strawberry jam onto a slice of cake and cover with another slice of cake (pic 4).
4. Hazelnut paste: Combine all ingredients (except egg white). Add in some egg white and stir well. If the paste is too dry, add in more egg white until the paste is spreadable. Spread hazelnut paste onto whole cake.
5. Pipe the remaining of hazelnut paste onto the surface of cake. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree for 8-10 minutes until the paste is turning into grey.
6. Remove and pipe strawberry jam onto the cake. Serve (pic 5, 6 & 7).

Recipe from Yum Yum Magazine

2 comments:

Lingzie said...

wah! really salute you for trying out this recipe. any recipe that requires me to cut sponge cakes into 2 or more layers is considered too difficult and tedious for me!!
i'm sure the next one will be a success. :)

Wei Sum said...

Wah, no next time la... scared already...
My cake only can bake for family and friends, can't take out to sell... cause too ugly, nobody will buy it... then I pai se la