I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Saturday, July 02, 2011

2011 Father’s Day Dinner

P1080215

This was another dinner that I cooked for my parents during father’s day. Well, I mentioned I need practice and apparently, I still need a lot of training and practices. These 3 dishes were actually quick simple, compare to the dinner that I prepared for mother’s day.

Comment from parents: Both of my parents can’t stand very spicy food. I’m too careless that I prepared all 3 dishes which were spicy. They actually didn’t make a lot of comment during the dinner, mainly because they didn’t want to discourage their daughter.

(˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)

P1080207

Grilled Spicy Chicken Kebabs

Ingredients:

  • 1 piece chicken breast meat, cut into cubes
  • 2 onions, cut into pieces
  • ½ cucumber

  • some satay skewers (bamboo toothpick)

Marinade:

  • 2 tbsp chilli bean sauce (Toban Djan)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp corn flour
  • 1tbsp oil
  • 1 tbsp water

Method:

  1. Mix chicken breast meat with marinade and marinate for 1 hour.
  2. Skewer the meat on satay stick and grill in a preheated oven at 200˚C for 20 minutes. Remove and serve hot.

p/s: this is quite yummy if you like spicy

(˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)

P1080210

Fried Eggplant with Fermented Soya Bean Paste

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups oil for deep-frying
  • 2 (400g) eggplants, cut into strips
  • 50g minced pork
  • 3 tbsp dried prawns, soaked and chopped coarsely
  • 1 tbsp chopped garlic
  • 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
  • ½ tbsp fermented soya bean paste (I changed this to chilli soya bean paste, which I think I shouldn’t)

  • ½ tbsp sugar

  • 1tsp light soya sauce
  • dash of cornstarch water, for thickening
  • 2 stalks spring onion, chopped

Method:

  1. Heat up oil for deep-frying, deep-fry eggplant until cooked. Dish and drain.
  2. Leave 2 tbsp oil in wok, saute chopped garlic and dried prawns until aromatic. Add fermented soya bean paste, sugar and soya sauce and stir-fry until fragrant.
  3. Add in minced pork, eggplants, chilli and stir-fry until well mixed. Thicken with cornstarch water and sprinkle with chopped spring onion. Dish up and serve.

p/s: The eggplant that I bought was too “old”, even after I’ve fried the strips and saute for so long, the skin was still plastic-like. I also make a big joke out of this dish, my mom asked me, where’s the seed? I answered, seed can eat mer? Both of my parents shook their heads. Then my mom checked the rubbish bin, found out the seed was actually quite big, as big as sesame, then she agreed, maybe the eggplant was really very “old”.

(˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)   (˚ᴥ˚)

P1080214

Braised Pig’s Stomach with Salted Mustard

Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 tbsp chopped garlic
  • 6 slices ginger
  • 300g local salted mustard, soaked and cut into pieces
  • 8 dried oysters, cleaned
  • 1 pig’s stomach, about 400g, cleaned and cut into strips

Seasoning:

  • 2 tbsp oyster sauce
  • 1 tbsp light soya sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • dash of pepper
  • 1000ml water

Method:

  1. Heat up oil, saute chopped garlic  and ginger until fragrant. Add in salted mustard and stir-fry until aromatic.
  2. Add dried oyster, pig’s stomach, seasoning and bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 1½ hours or until pig’s stomach is tender. Dish up and serve.

p/s: I didn’t expect to be so tedious to clean a pig stomach. 1st of all got to flip over to clean all the mucus-like on the lining under running water, use salt to clean until the lining is less slippery, then soak in boiling water until the yellowish skin near the top of the stomach detach… I am so lucky to have my mom with me when I’m cleaning the stomach… or I can’t imagine how would I turn the kitchen upside down again.

But one thing I don’t get it, this dish was spicy too, although there wasn’t anything spicy in the ingredient. Probably the spiciness was due to the Sarawak’s pepper.

 

Recipe copied from Yum Yum book 52 & 63.

2 comments:

Lingzie said...

Oooo is this the kebab u going to make for us? Looks so yummy!! can't wait!

Wei Sum said...

yup Lingzie... going to make it this sat!