I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cheese Temptation

Am I overrated myself? I never bake a cheesecake or see a making of cheesecake and I choose the most tedious and complicated cheese cake in the recipe to bake! Part of the reason, my friends jokingly requested me to bake this for them. Yes, I love baking, the more I bake, the more confident I feel, making me more daring to take challenges. Baking also a very good way to release my stress and kill my boredom during weekends…


I failed making this cake on my 1st attempt, fail terribly… the mousse was too watery and damped the biscuit base, the cheese smell bad too. I was thinking maybe I shouldn’t pick this at the very first place. But since I have a lot of left over ingredients, I give this a second chance last weekend.


This time, I was trying to take things slowly… read the recipe book carefully, line by line…


Digestive Biscuit Base

Ingredients
160g digestive biscuit (finely crushed)
80g melted butter

Method:
Mix all the ingredients until well-blended. Press it onto bottom of 20cm loose bottom pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.

Cheese Layer

Ingredients A
500g cream cheese
140g sugar
20g corn flour

Ingredient B
3 eggs

Ingredients C
50g orange juice
1 orange zest

Ingredient D
150g whipping cream

Method:
1. Cream Ingredients A until light. Add in Ingredient B, cream until smooth.
2. Add in Ingredients C, cream until well-combined.
3. Add in Ingredient D, cream until well incorporated.
4. Pour the cheese mixture onto the prepared biscuit base. Cover the outside of the mould with aluminum foil.
5. Place it over double boiler, bake in water bath at 160˚C for 60 minutes.
6. Refrigerate the cake for at least 4 hours.

Chocolate Mousse

Ingredient A
60g milk

Ingredients B
20g sugar
1 egg yolk

Ingredient C
80g dark couverture (chopped)

Ingredients D
2 tsp gelatin
30g water

Ingredient E
150g whipped topping cream

Method:
1. Cook Ingredient A until boils. Add in Ingredients B, mix until well-blended. Continue to cook for 1 minute. Add in Ingredient C, mix until well-combined.
2. Mix Ingredients D until well-blended and place it over double boiler, cook until gelatin melts. Add it into the above mixture, mix until well-blended.
3. Cool it over ice water to 30˚C. Whip Ingredient E until the soft peak stage. Add it into the above mixture, mix until well incorporated.
4. Pour it over the baked cheesecake. Keep it in the fridge for 2 hours or until set.
5. Pour the chocolate glazing over the chocolate mousse. Keep it refrigerated for 20 minutes to let it set.
6. Unmould and cut to serve.

Chocolate Glazing

Ingredients
150g cooking chocolate (melted)
40g milk
40g whipping cream
5g butter

Method:
Cook the milk and whipping cream until boil. Add in the melted chocolate and mix until well-blended. Add in butter, mix until well-combined. Set aside to cool to pouring consistency.




P1080460P1080462P1080465P1080468



I felt so nervous when I unmould the cake... I was so happy and touched when I see the cake turned out exactly like what the pictures shown in the recipe book!!! The happiest moment is when my dad asked for another piece after he finished his 1st slice. (my dad has slight lactose intolerance, so, he usually don't like dairy product and never like a cheesecake!). Strongly recommend this recipe book, Baking Code by Alex Goh for amateur baker!!

No comments: