I love capturing photos of plants, food and non-living things because I always believe, although they are not human, but they do have their own expression and emotion yet to be read and appreciated.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

2nd Day in Shanghai

Although we slept quite “early” in the morning, just 5-6 hours of quality rest was adequate. Our itinerary for the day was Hall of City God – Yu Yuan Garden – Shanghai Old Street

Breakfast – Shandong Crepe

P1090163P1090166P1090167P1090168P1090169

The crepe is very delicious, it is savoury, with egg, crispy toufu skin (this is only my guess), spring onion and etc. It is very nice to go with soya milk and because I see a lot of ppl also buying the bao, so, I picked one vegetable pao too, inside it is really full of chopped green leaves. Don’t underestimate the portion, a crepe is actually filling enough.

==================================================================

1st stop – Hall of City God

1st thing 1st, top up the subway prepaid card, equipped a city map and subway map in hand is also a must. Unfortunately, we only have subway map, (I was surprise that Shanghai, being one f the most tourist visited cities in China, we hardly find free map or booklet of attractions @ subway station). Luckily, we both speak Chinese, so most of the time, we either spent time reading framed map on the wall of the station or asked around for direction (usually there are more than 3 exits in each station).

P1090170

I like this direction sign by the street, we read Chinese, so, it’s very easy to us to get to where we want.

P1090173P1090174

Contrast of the Modern & Old building

P1090190P1090185

Chinese believe the City God can fulfil whatever you wish for, for me as a tourist, I just want to pay respect and wish that we will have a safe and nice trip!

==========================================================================

Lunch – Nanxiang Steamed Stuffed Bun

P1090276P1090209P1090215P1090210P1090213

This restaurant has more than 100 years of history, although the local said their stuffed bun isn’t the finest and tastiest, for me, I already think that it is the best already (compare to those I ate in KL). The restaurant has 3 different halls, ground floor, only has a to go counter, usually jam-packed with ppl, because the bun is cheaper (has only 1 type, the small one, wrap with only pork meat). Upper floors, there are 2 hall with proper restaurant setting, one with minimum spending of RMB30 per pax and RMB60 per pax, you can order everything in the menu, but usually more pricy, of course the stuffing is not the same as ground floor, they are more premium. I don’t mind paying more, because it is a must eat in Shanghai. I don’t know how to translate these, but we had 蟹黄灌汤包(RMB22)and 招牌小笼(RMB48), my personal preference is the latter, trust me, they are really yummy and addictive…

P1090214P1090229P1090245P1090246P1090261P1090266

=================================================================================

Shanghai Old Street

Will never miss the street when we were walking around the Hall of City God and Yu Yuan Garden, they are connected to each other. For tourist, you can actually see a lot of unique stuffs there, like paper art, stone art, calligraphy, Chinese traditional clothes, accessories and etc. If you are not into shopping, there are a lot of local snacks too. There are a lot of shop doing wholesale too. If you like those Chinese traditional house deco, yarn, stationaries, you can get a pretty good bargain there.

P1090205P1090204P1090277

Even Starbucks Coffee is very China & classic

======================================================================

Dinner – Hunan Cuisine Restaurant 要得湖南湘菜馆

P1090286P1090287P1090290P1090292P1090297

If I’m not mistaken, I think I came across this restaurant in one of the food introductory program hosted by a famous chef cum food expert in HK. My friend’s sister brought us there, and when we entered, the restaurant was already jam-packed with ppl. We were lucky and got a small table at a corner. She ordered all the signature dishes (mostly spicy except the celery), I forgot most of the name but I like the fish head. It was very special, a head served with 2 different sauces. The texture of the meat, frankly speaking is incomparable to the fish in Malaysia, we are surrounded by so many good fishes, but I would say that, the sauces are special. And this dinner had actually opened my eyes, China ppl can eat spicy!!! They can take very very spicy food compare to any other races!!!

That was the end of the day, we went back right after dinner to plan for our following days itinerary…

No comments: